- Unified Platform
- Our Allies
- About ▼
- Act! ▼
- Volunteer! ▼
- Media ▼
- Spread the Word
- Video ►
- Michael Cavlan for Senate 2012
- Chris Hedges on the End of Empire
- Moving Forward
- Corporations are NOT people
- George Carlin
- Jill Stein: People's State of the Union
- Tommy Douglas: His Issues Were Ours
- Which Side of History Will You Be On?
- Challenging Power, Changing Politics: Sanders, Stein, Honkala on Bill Moyers
- Exclusive: As Obama and Romney Agree on Afghan War, Israel and Syria, Third Parties Give Alternative
- Expanding the 2012 Debate: Third Party Candidates Break the Sound Barrier As Obama-Romney Spar
- Expanding the VP Debate: Third-Party Candidates Challenge Biden & Ryan on War, Economy, Healthcare
- Hedges: America’s Devastated 'Sacrifice Zones' Are The Future For All Of Us
- Mouseland: where mice kept voting for cats as leaders
- Blog ▼
- Contact Us
Next Step After the Protests?
If you make peaceful revolution impossible you make violent revolution inevitable.
John F. Kennedy
It is evident that using the electoral process has failed because of the complete and utter failure of both major parties. A necessary component of the next step is peaceful protest. An interesting article containing insights by those who have gone there before us is The Real Reason Why Police Cage Peaceful Protestors.
Peaceful protest is a necessary but insufficient next step. History is full of dictators who have been overthrown only to be replaced by other dictators. In the United States an obviously corrupt President Bush was replaced by a slightly less obviously corrupt President Obama. If we are to make a true change - the kind Candidate Obama talked eloquently about and President Obama completely abandoned - then we must start preparing for the next step.
In Canada the Liberal Party sold out much as the Democratic Party has sold out in the United States. It took a generation, but the New Democratic Party eventually replaced the Liberal Party. Though we need to be prepared to take a generation if necessary, the fact that we have reached tipping points in so many areas and we have the internet as an organizing tool may mean we might not have to wait for that long. Others from the New Democratic Party in Canada to Europe to the Arab Spring to Wisconsin to Occupy Wall Street to the October Movement have already started to pave the way. If the results of those protesting in the streets and being jailed such as DeChristopher and Bradley Manning are to bear fruit then we must be ready with the next step.
The NPA has a detailed platform on this website. What is your plan? The only wrong plan is doing nothing.