- Unified Platform
- Our Allies
- About ▼
- Act! ▼
- Volunteer! ▼
- Media ▼
- Spread the Word
- Video ►
- Michael Cavlan for Senate 2012
- Chris Hedges on the End of Empire
- Moving Forward
- Corporations are NOT people
- George Carlin
- Jill Stein: People's State of the Union
- Tommy Douglas: His Issues Were Ours
- Which Side of History Will You Be On?
- Challenging Power, Changing Politics: Sanders, Stein, Honkala on Bill Moyers
- Exclusive: As Obama and Romney Agree on Afghan War, Israel and Syria, Third Parties Give Alternative
- Expanding the 2012 Debate: Third Party Candidates Break the Sound Barrier As Obama-Romney Spar
- Expanding the VP Debate: Third-Party Candidates Challenge Biden & Ryan on War, Economy, Healthcare
- Hedges: America’s Devastated 'Sacrifice Zones' Are The Future For All Of Us
- Mouseland: where mice kept voting for cats as leaders
- Blog ▼
- Contact Us
Why Endorsement of the Unified Progressive Platform by Jill Stein Is So Important
The recent endorsement by Jill Stein is very important. To fully understand why, one must go back over the past 40 years. Since the 1970s the middle class has been shrinking, the poor expanding, and the flow of money to the very rich has accelerated. (see Economic Graphs - http://newprogs.org/blog/2012/03/02/economic-graphs) In the meantime our infrastructure, safety net, and education – the basis for long term economic prosperity - have also been declining. Throughout it all words and political parties have made no difference. The decline is a result of consistent policies by both parties, words and promises to the contrary notwithstanding.
The NPA will support only those who make a formal promise to support the Unified Progressive Platform of peace, people, and the planet. (The Unified Progressive Platform is is a fascinating amalgam of the platforms of two legacy and four current Progressive organizations. It has ten points of Peace First, full employment at a living wage, Saving the Environment, Real Social Safety Net, Medicare for All, Fair Trade, Human Rights/Civil Liberties, Election Reform, Corporate Accountability/Reform, and Infrastructure Investment/Ownership. Full details are here)
Should a candidate not keep their promise to support our platform then we will loudly disavow them. To progress we need to avoid empty promises followed by “I am the lesser of two evils based upon my rhetoric.” We have not yet endorsed anybody for president, but Jill Stein’s endorsement of our principles is notable. Should we endorse her and she does not prove faithful we have no problems in disavowing her.
Others are running with the potential to be realistic candidates to oppose the democratic-republican Uniparty. A complete list of all candidates that have endorsed the Unified Progressive Platform is here.
If we are to reverse the almost half century of decline of our country we must start by abandoning the democratic-republican Uniparty and support or oppose based on votes and public positions rather than rhetoric and hope. We hope this endorsement is the start of that process.